The Rocket Store
Boscastle Fishing Company is based in the harbour at Boscastle, Cornwall.
Our shop is in The Rocket Store (also widely known as The Rocket House) which was built in 1898 to replace a smaller stone building near the bridge. These Rocket Stores are to be found all around the coast and were used to house Life Saving Apparatus (LSA).
Boscastle LSA was Station number 29 – by the 20th century there were over 300 stations around the coastline. This station was closed in the 1980s when the new garage for a modern Land Rover was built near Harbour Cottage.
In 1807 Cornishman Henry Trengrouse invented a system to use a rocket to fire a rope from shore to a stranded ship. A cradle was then used to bring ashore the crew. The equipment was moved using a horse-drawn cart and the horses were hired each time a rescue was mounted.
The cart, laden with its life-saving equipment, and manned by the local crew would find their way to the closest point – then equipment could be taken further in a hand cart. The line would be set and a ‘breeches buoy’ harness was used to bring crewmembers ashore.
Many thanks to Ann & Rod Knight for many of the images here – for more information contact the Boscastle Archive – firstname.lastname@example.org